Social media is at the intersection of technology and human interaction. We like to connect with each other and social media is one avenue that offers this human collaboration.
一道本不卡免费高清Social media has become a fast and cheap “background check” employers use before inviting applicants for interviews. Employers will use social media to evaluate:
- Your written communication skills
- Your work history and education
- Your industry knowledge
- Your use of profanity
- How you spend your non-working time
- How you might fit into their company culture
Employers also use social media to find qualified applicants, which is often a faster and cheaper way to find good job candidates than posting a job. Here are some quick facts:
- 94 percent of hiring managers and recruiters are on LinkedIn
- 79 percent have hired a candidate from LinkedIn
- 66 percent of recruiters use Facebook to find talent
- 52 percent use Twitter to search for candidates
- 80 percent will your name
Adapted from Guide to Social Media and Job Search by . Job-Hunt.org.
LinkedIn is the number one social network used by recruiters for job searches. If you have time for only one social network for your job search, LinkedIn is the one you should use. With LinkedIn you can gain potential networking connections, reach out to old connections and search, save jobs and create job alerts. Most importantly, you can research companies of interest to learn about who works there, company news, products, services, culture and operations as well as the qualifications of those that work in similar jobs and current job openings at that company.
- How to Create a LinkedIn Page – provides step-by-step instructions on how to create a LinkedIn account
- LinkedIn Profile Checklist – offers a checklist to help optimize your LinkedIn visibility
- – provides valuable information on increasing your LinkedIn visibility
- – provides everything you need to know to make yourself look amazing, wow future connections and grow your influence on LinkedIn
- – gives tips on how to improve how your work experience appears on LinkedIn
- – gives students the preparation need to start their careers and move into the professional world with confidence
- – provides a tactical toolkit that puts you in the driver’s seat as you develop your career and helps you to get a job you love
- (7:48) – offers an instructional video that shows you how to use job search features in LinkedIn
- – helps you ﬁnd fellow graduates within your major who work at companies of interest. Compare their skills to your own, reach out to them and build relationships for an insider’s perspective to get your foot in the door.
- – this nifty tool helps you discover your earning potential
- – connects you to members across the LinkedIn network for advice on your career path or switching to a new industry
Facebook is the second most popular social network for recruiters. According to a recent Jobvite survey 66 percent of employers use Facebook in their recruiting.
Facebook Hazards for Job Seekers
- 90 percent of employers use it as a background check
- 70 percent of recruiters reject candidates based on:
- Inappropriate photos
- Inappropriate comments
- Inappropriate sharing
Facebook Benefits for Job Seekers (if used appropriately)
- Demonstrates your social media savviness
- Demonstrates your skills and expertise
- Expands your network to help connect you to a new job
- – gives information on how to take advantage of recruiter interest using Facebook in your job search
- – provides four ways you can use Facebook to find a job
Twitter can be an excellent resource for your job search.
Benefits of using Twitter for your job search include:
- Connecting you to new people, organizations, ideas and jobs
- Using it as a tool for building your online reputation
- Bringing you to the attention of employers
Here are some keys to becoming a Twitter Job Search “Power User”:
- Create a professional, public Twitter account for job search
- Focus on appealing to employers looking to hire someone like you
- Do not enter anything personal or that you do on your spare time. Use a separate Twitter account for that in private mode.
一道本不卡免费高清 – gives four step-by-step instructions on how to start leveraging Twitter for your job search
Online Reputation Management
一道本不卡免费高清 – provides information on how to positively impact what is visible at the top of search results when recruiters Google your name